Historical overview 4.
Liberation in Recsk
A Liberation Committee of five came to the camp in Recsk under the leadership of Gyula Tóth, Camp Commander 320 internees from Recsk had to go to court inKistarcsa but more than one thousand people were set free, the last ones onthe 23rd of September, 1953. According to the minutes written on that day the leaders of thecamp stated that “production” in the camp and the liberation of internees was finished.
All the people set free had to sign a statement of secrecy; that theywould not tell anybody about anything that had taken place in the camp.
Those who were set free were obliged to report at the police station nearest to their permanent residence where most of them were placed under police surveillance and some of them were banned from their former dwelling place.
|Fence and barracks in Recsk – collection of Lívia Gyarmathy||The statement that everybody had to sign – ÁBTL 3.1.9. V-107419.|
Liberation in the camps in Kistarcsa, Kazincbarcika and Tiszalök
The Camp Commander in each camp was appointed the leader of the Liberation Committee; in Kistarcsa State Security Commander Rezső Urbán, in Kazincbarcika Law Enforcement Commander János Lovasi and in Tiszalök Law Enforcement Second-Lieutenant Sándor Dornai.
As a result of review and liberation 1,141 former internees were set free from the internment camp in Kistarcsa. The Liberation Committee suggested that 264 people should appear in court and 73 former internees were banned from their former dwelling places. The camp in Kazincbarcika was closed on the 13th of September, 1953. In the autumn of 1953 70 inmates of the Kazincbarcika camp had to appear in court in Kistarcsa.
The deadline for camp eliminations was the end of October 1953. But in November there were still 1,020 people in the internment and prisoner of war camp in Tiszalök – mainly German citizens, who were sent there to take part in the construction of the Tiszalök Waterpower Station.
|Monument at the original site of the Tiszalök camp – photo by Barbara Bank||The former internment camp buildings in Kistarcsa – photo by András Lánczi, 2002|